ANGOP - Angola Press News AgencyANGOP - Angola Press News Agency

Go to homepage
Luanda

Max:

Min:

Home » News » Africa

Sat, 10 Mar 2012 09:14 - Updated Sat, 10 Mar 2012 09:13

ICC rejects Kenyans' request to appeal trial decision

Kenya

Send by email

To share this news by email, fill out the information below and click Send

Correct

To report errors in the texts of articles published, fill out the information below and click Send

  Kenya - The International Criminal Court turned down on Friday a request by four prominent Kenyans including two presidential hopefuls to appeal its decision to try them over post-election killings.


  Applications by Deputy Prime Minister Uhuru Kenyatta and former minister William Ruto, as well as by radio host Joshua arap Sang and former civil service head Francis Muthuara had been "rejected", court documents said.


  This included an argument filed by Kenyatta's defense, which described a decision by a three-judge bench to allow certain witness statements used to send the men to trial, as "irrational, unfair and unreasonable."


  "The chamber, by majority hereby rejects," the applications by Kenyatta, Ruto, Muthaura and Sang, court documents said.


  The international war crimes court on January 23 ruled the four men should face trial over a wave of election-related killings in Kenya four years ago.


  The accused included Kenyatta, 50, the son of the country's founding father, and Ruto, 45, both presidential contenders. Their indictments are politically explosive ahead of Kenya's 2013 presidential campaign.