ANGOP - Angola Press News AgencyANGOP - Angola Press News Agency

Go to homepage
Luanda

Max:

Min:

Home » News » Africa

Mon, 10 Mar 2014 12:56 - Updated Mon, 10 Mar 2014 12:56

At least 42 African migrants drown off Yemeni coast: Defence Ministry

ADEN - At least 42 illegal African migrants drowned in the Arabian Sea off the southern coast of Yemen late on Sunday, the defense ministry said on its website.

Send by email

To share this news by email, fill out the information below and click Send

Correct

To report errors in the texts of articles published, fill out the information below and click Send

The ministry's September 26 website quoted a local official in Shabwa province as saying the migrants drowned off the coastal town of Bir Ali. A naval patrol managed to rescue 30 other migrants, the source said, and were taking them to a refugee camp in the town of Mayfaa.

African migrants often use unseaworthy boats to try to reach Yemen, seen as a gateway to wealthier parts of the Middle East and the West. Hundreds of migrants have died at sea.

The International Organisation for Migration said in December that more than 7,000 migrants have perished at sea or while crossing deserts trying to reach a safe haven in 2013, believed to be the deadliest year on record.

Of those figures, some 2,000-5,000 Africans are thought to have lost their lives while crossing the Sinai peninsula to Israel and the Gulf of Aden to reach Yemen, although no firm figures were available, the IOM said.

Tags África  

Read also
  • 05/02/2019 11:40:24

    French fighter jets back Chadian forces after incursion from Libya

    PARIS - French fighter jets struck targets in northern Chad on Sunday in support of local troops trying to repel a convoy of unidentified fighters that had crossed the border from Libya, France’s military said in a statement.

  • 05/02/2019 11:36:04

    Zimbabwe teachers to strike, ignoring government appeal

    HARARE - Zimbabwean teachers will go ahead with a national strike from Tuesday after last-ditch negotiations with the government failed, unions said, risking more unrest after violent protests last month.

  • 05/02/2019 11:29:01

    Nigerian candidate's U.S. visit was temporary reprieve from graft ban

    WASHINGTON/ABUJA - Nigerian presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar visited Washington two weeks ago to meet with top U.S. diplomats and lawmakers thanks to a temporary suspension of a travel ban linked to decade-old bribery scandals, according to people familiar with the matter.

  • 05/02/2019 11:22:30

    Sudan minister appeals to young as protests near seventh week

    KHARTOUM - Sudan’s defence minister said on Monday that young people caught up in recent turmoil had “reasonable ambition”, the second apparently conciliatory gesture in three days from a senior government figure.