Wed, 03 Jan 2018 14:09 - Updated Wed, 03 Jan 2018 14:09
Teenage suicide bomber kills 10 in NE Nigeria mosque attack
ABUJA - Ten people including the attacker's biological father have been confirmed killed in a suicide attack on a mosque early Wednesday in Nigeria's northeastern town of Gamboru, according to local residents and officials.
Send by email
To share this news by email, fill out the information below and click Send
To report errors in the texts of articles published, fill out the information below and click Send
A teenage male suicide bomber known in the area sneaked into the local mosque and detonated an improvised explosive device strapped to his body during an early morning prayer in the mosque in the northeastern state of Borno, said Abba Lawan, a resident.
Lawan said the suicide bomber's biological father was among the early worshippers in the mosque.
"The suicide bomber hailed from Gamboru town, he disowned his parents and joined the terrorists in the bush," said Lawan. "Wounded persons have been referred to a clinic for treatment."
The Nigerian military, while confirming the attack to Xinhua, said another suspected suicide bomber was killed in Rann, another town located in Kala-Balge area of Borno.
Rogers Nicholas, the commander of the troops fighting the Boko Haram terror group in the northeast region of Nigeria, said only five bodies of the victims had been recovered so far by the military.
Nigeria has made a considerable gain on the Boko Haram front, with its security forces having dislodged Boko Haram fighters from the Sambisa Forest, their last enclave in the country. Xinhua
- 03/01/2018 14:11:37
MOGADISHU - Unidentified airstrike targeted suspected Al-Shabaab militant on a minibus near Bariiri location about 45 kilometers south of the capital Mogadishu on Tuesday, officials said on Wednesday.
- 03/01/2018 14:10:16
CAIRO - Egypt's foreign currency reserves reached 37.02 billion U.S. dollars in 2017, the Central Bank of Egypt (CBE) said Wednesday.
- 03/01/2018 14:07:23
TRIPOLI - More than 160 soldiers of Libyan eastern-based army were killed in 2017 during military operations against terrorist groups in the eastern city of Benghazi, according to a military official.