Fri, 18 Jan 2019 12:17 - Updated Fri, 18 Jan 2019 12:17
Zimbabwean gov't orders another Internet services shutdown
HARARE -- The Zimbabwean government ordered another complete shutdown of Internet services from Thursday night to disrupt communication among protesters demonstrating against fuel price hikes and rising living costs.
Send by email
To share this news by email, fill out the information below and click Send
To report errors in the texts of articles published, fill out the information below and click Send
The country's biggest mobile network operator Econet told subscribers early Friday morning that the government had issued another order which it had to comply with.
"The earlier directives are already the subject of a pending High Court application. We sincerely apologize for all inconvenience caused by the acts of government which are beyond our reasonable control," the operator said.
This follows an earlier blackout of more than 24 hours between Tuesday and Wednesday.
Social media platforms including WhatsApp, Twitter and Facebook remained shut after the government believed that protesters were exchanging information to carry on with their activities.
However, Internet users could still communicate on WhatsApp and another platform called Telegram after installing VPNs on their smartphones. This may have prompted the government to order the second Internet blackout,XINHUA.
- 05/02/2019 11:40:24
PARIS - French fighter jets struck targets in northern Chad on Sunday in support of local troops trying to repel a convoy of unidentified fighters that had crossed the border from Libya, France’s military said in a statement.
- 05/02/2019 11:36:04
HARARE - Zimbabwean teachers will go ahead with a national strike from Tuesday after last-ditch negotiations with the government failed, unions said, risking more unrest after violent protests last month.
- 05/02/2019 11:29:01
WASHINGTON/ABUJA - Nigerian presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar visited Washington two weeks ago to meet with top U.S. diplomats and lawmakers thanks to a temporary suspension of a travel ban linked to decade-old bribery scandals, according to people familiar with the matter.
- 05/02/2019 11:22:30
KHARTOUM - Sudan’s defence minister said on Monday that young people caught up in recent turmoil had “reasonable ambition”, the second apparently conciliatory gesture in three days from a senior government figure.