ANGOP - Angola Press News AgencyANGOP - Angola Press News Agency

Go to homepage
Luanda

Max:

Min:

Home » News » World

Wed, 12 Sep 2018 13:30 - Updated Wed, 12 Sep 2018 13:30

Turkish intelligence captures in Syria key suspect of bombing in 2013

ANKARA -- Turkey's National Intelligence Agency (MIT) has captured a key suspect linked with the 2013 bombing that killed 53 people in southern Turkey, state-run Anadolu Agency reported on Wednesday.

Send by email

To share this news by email, fill out the information below and click Send

Correct

To report errors in the texts of articles published, fill out the information below and click Send

The suspect, who was listed in the blue category of the Turkish Interior Ministry's wanted terrorists list, was nabbed from Syria's Latakia province with an operation and brought back to Turkey for questioning.

Yusuf Nazik, 34, born in Turkish southern Hatay province, was wanted for allegedly planning and organizing two car bombs that left 53 people dead in the town of Reyhanli, near the border with Syria.

In his initial questioning, Nazik confessed that he played a role in Reyhanli bombing, being the coordinator between the bombers and the Syrian intelligence organization, which he said masterminded the attack.

He admitted that he had staked out possible target, helped for smuggling explosives from Syria to Turkey, provided two vehicles and organized the car bombs.

Turkey sided with rebels in Syria for toppling Syrian President Bashar Assad, sheltering Syrian refugees who fled the conflict.

Local media released a video from his interrogation at which Nazik called on his friends in Syria to surrender. "I am also addressing the Syrian state: the state of Turkey is big and it will surely bring you to account," he said.

Turkish courts had ruled to jail nine arrested suspects for life in February, while eight more suspects, including Nazik, remained as fugitives.

The Reyhanli bombing on May 11, 2013 left 53 people dead and dozens of others injured, as a bomb-laden vehicle was detonated in the town center. A total of 912 buildings, 891 workplaces and 148 vehicles were heavily damaged as well,XINHUA.

Read also
  • 07/02/2019 13:31:06

    U.N. warns against politicizing humanitarian aid in Venezuela

    UNITED NATIONS - The United Nations warned on Wednesday against using aid as a pawn in Venezuela after the United States sent food and medicine to the country’s border and accused President Nicolas Maduro of blocking its delivery with trucks and shipping containers.

  • 07/02/2019 12:57:04

    Bankers suggest Russian firms delist as sanctions uncertainty bites

    MOSCOW - Uncertainty caused by the expansion of U.S. sanctions on Russia last year has pushed companies’ share prices lower, prompting investment bankers to suggest their clients should delist from local and international exchanges.

  • 07/02/2019 12:39:42

    With border blocked, desperate Venezuelans ask how U.S. aid will arrive

    URENA - Desperate Venezuelans asked on Wednesday how they would gain access to U.S. food and medicine aid due to arrive via the Colombia border after President Nicolas Maduro’s government blocked the frontier crossing to any humanitarian shipments.

  • 07/02/2019 12:33:34

    World food prices rise in January: U.N. FAO

    ROME- World food prices rose in January, buoyed by a rebound in dairy prices and stronger showings for vegetable oils and sugar, the United Nations food agency said on Thursday.