ANGOP - Angola Press News AgencyANGOP - Angola Press News Agency

Go to homepage
Luanda

Max:

Min:

Home » News » World

Tue, 09 Oct 2018 13:23 - Updated Tue, 09 Oct 2018 13:23

Suicide bomber kills eight at Afghan election rally: official

KABUL - A suspected suicide bomb attack at an election rally in southern Afghanistan on Tuesday killed at least eight people and wounded 10 others, officials said.

Send by email

To share this news by email, fill out the information below and click Send

Correct

To report errors in the texts of articles published, fill out the information below and click Send

The attack took place in Lashkar Gah, the provincial capital of Helmand, a southern province bordering Pakistan that has seen some of the fiercest fighting of the Taliban insurgency.

The Taliban has ramped up attacks in strategic provinces ahead of the parliamentary polls set for Oct.20, and on Monday directed Afghans to boycott voting, while demanding a complete withdrawal of foreign forces as the only way to end the 17-year-old war.

The attack in Lashkar Gah took place in the office of a parliamentary election candidate while a campaign rally was underway, according to Haji Abdul Aahad Sultanzoy, a member of the provincial council.

The candidate, Saleh Mohammad Achekzai, was wounded in the attack, according to Omar Zwak, a government official,REUTERS.

Read also
  • 09/10/2018 13:07:09

    Ukraine suspects sabotage after ammo depot explosions

    DRUZHBA - Ukrainian authorities suspect sabotage lay behind explosions that tore through an ammunition depot in the early hours of Tuesday, sending fireballs into the sky and causing more than 12,000 people to be evacuated.

  • 09/10/2018 13:03:28

    EU expects investigation of Khashoggi disappearance, Mogherini says

    LISBON - The European Union fully supports U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who called on Saudi Arabia to investigate the disappearance of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi, EU policy chief Federica Mogherini said on Tuesday.

  • 09/10/2018 12:59:13

    Philippines' Duterte says tests show he doesn't have cancer

    MANILA - Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said on Tuesday that a biopsy shows he does not have cancer, after calls from the public for information after the 73-year-old missed two official events last week.