Sun, 08 Jun 2003 21:29
Send by email
To share this news by email, fill out the information below and click Send
To report errors in the texts of articles published, fill out the information below and click Send
FLEC/FAC Army Chief Francisco Luemba
Photo: Angop photo
Cabinda, 06/08 - The army chief of Angola`s Cabinda independentist FLEC/FAC faction, Francisco Luemba, plus another six high ranking officials withthe movement have surrendered to government authorities.
The six include the head of Military Counter-Intelligence Department, Jorge Gomes Macaia, the director for staff training and Central Committee member, Zeferino Conde Mabiala, and logistics secretary, Joaquim de Almeida Jimmy. They were all presentedto the media on Sunday in Angola`s oil rich northern Cabinda province.#
Except for Zeferino Conde Mabiala who had been captured in combat by the Angolan Armed Forces (FAA), on March 26 this year at the Necuto region, all the otherssurrendered recently to government authorities.
They said they made the decision to quit because of the "immense difficulties"FLEC/FAC is going through.
The movement has gone extremely fragile, they said as they maintained dialoguewith the Government for a solution to the Cabinda case.
The Angolan government advocates dialogue for a peaceful solution to the situationin Cabinda but reluctance of a few independentist factions in the province has systematically hampered the negotiations.