Thu, 12 Sep 2019 12:22 - Updated Thu, 12 Sep 2019 12:21
Military intelligence chief denies accusations
Luanda - The defence lawyer of the former chief of Military Intelligence and Security Service, António José Maria "Zé Maria", last Wednesday in court refuted the accusations made by the Prosecution Department against his client, even deeming the position of the prosecution unconstitutional.
Send by email
To share this news by email, fill out the information below and click Send
To report errors in the texts of articles published, fill out the information below and click Send
General Zé Maria on trial
Photo: Rosario dos Santos
Lawyer Sérgio Raimundo said there were procedural breaches relating to the investigation phase, as well as regarding presumption of innocence and the right to a fair trial.
During the first session of the trial, last Wednesday, the said lawyer mentioned as example that an illegal search was conducted in the premises of the Eduardo dos Santos Foundation (FESA), specifying that at the time both the accused and his lawyer were not notified of the procedure.
Besides that, the defence lawyer also complains of the fact that the prosecution did not mention the quantity of “mishandled documents”.
General António José Maria "Zé Maria", who has been under remand since last June 17, is facing charges of “insubordination” and “mishandling of documents, sensitive material and military information”.
Zé Maria had been appointed in 2009, by the country’s former president, to the post of military intelligence chief and was dismissed in 2017 by President João Lourenço.
The second court session is happening this Thursday.
- 12/09/2019 08:31:43
Luanda - The trial of former chief of Military Intelligence and Security Service, António José Maria "Zé Maria", kicked off last Wednesday, in Luanda, at the headquarters of the Angolan Army Command.
- 11/09/2019 18:14:47
Luanda - The importance of preserving cooperation relations between Angola and South Africa was reaffirmed on Tuesday (10) in Luanda by the special South African envoy, Khulo Mbtaha.
- 11/09/2019 13:23:40
Luanda - The Chinese authorities reaffirmed last Tuesday, in Luanda, their intention to reinforce the co-operation with Angola, especially in the industrial domain.