Fri, 24 Apr 2020 15:32 - Updated Fri, 24 Apr 2020 20:40
President extends State of Emergency
Luanda - Angolan Head of State João Lourenço Friday in Luanda announced the second extension of the 15-day State of Emergency in the country whch comes into force from 00:00 on 26 April to 11:59 pm on 10 May, as part of the effort to halt the spread of COVID-19 pandemic.
Send by email
To share this news by email, fill out the information below and click Send
To report errors in the texts of articles published, fill out the information below and click Send
President João Lourenço
Photo: Cedida pela fonte
This was after a petition from the President of Republic unanimously backed by the Parliament on Thursday.
In his address to the Nation, João Lourenço said that the new extension of the State of Emergency aims to preserve the greater good of the human being: life.
He said that Angola today is quite aware of how tough it is to comply with the lockdown regime to which the society is subject to, due to the threat of the new coronavirus.
"We have no other choice but to accept sacrifices to preserve the greater good - life," said João Lourenço, referring to the decision to extend the exception regime.
The Minister of State and Chief of Civil Affairs Office of the President of Republic, Adão de Almeida, said last Thursday that some restriction measures will be relieved, in particular the lifting of the inter-provincial cordon sanitaire.
Adão de Almeida said circulation of people among provinces will be allowed, except Luanda.
Basically, circulation of people for commercial activity will be allowed, while leisure movements will remain banned.
Adão de Almeida explained that circulation relaxation will not include Luanda as the sole province that has so far reported positive cases of Covid-19. Entry and exit from Luanda will be banned.
He added that mandatory quarantine , both institutional and home, will remain in place, as well as compulsory testing of people.
The minister further explained that public departments will be allowed to expand their working hours from 8am to 6pm, with no more than 50 percent of their staff.
Another innovation contained in the new versions of the restriction period is that industrial activity will be resumed around the country, including crucial public works.
Public transports will be allowed to increase the number of passenger to 50 percent of their seating capacity, operating from 5am-6pm everyday.
Sports will remain closed, except the leisure kind one in two periods (from 5am-6am to 5pm-7pm)
Schools, restaurants, bars, libraries, leisure spots and worship sites will remain banned, while informal markets and street vendors will continue to operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Under the new measures, people will be compelled to wear masks in markets and other public places and transports.
The government is expected to officially announce the President’s decision to extend the State of Emergency that has been in force since 27 March this year.
The first extension of the State of Emergency became effective on 11 April. There are currently in Angola 25 positive cases of covid-19, two deaths and six recovered patients.
- 24/04/2020 16:46:23
Luanda - Angolan President João Lourenço Friday said that "the definitive lifting of the State of Emergency and restrictions will depend, above all, on the way the people abide by the measures adopted by the authorities.
- 23/04/2020 22:36:20
Luanda - Angola's National Assembly (Parliament) Thursday in Luanda approved the second extension of the 15-day State of Emergency in the country, as part of the effort to arrest the spread of the novel coronavirus.
- 16/04/2020 14:19:13
Luanda - The Draft Law on the Transfer of Attributions and Competences from the Central to Local Authorities will go to final global vote on the 22nd of this month, in the National Assembly (Angolan Parliament).