ANGOP - Angola Press News AgencyANGOP - Angola Press News Agency

Go to homepage
Luanda

Max:

Min:

Home » News » Science and Technology

Mon, 23 Apr 2018 09:57 - Updated Mon, 23 Apr 2018 09:57

Minister announces new satellite

Luanda - The minister of Telecommunications and Information Technologies, José Carvalho da Rocha, has announced officially the construction of a new Angolan satellite, whose completion is set for within one year and half.

Send by email

To share this news by email, fill out the information below and click Send

Correct

To report errors in the texts of articles published, fill out the information below and click Send

Angosat-1 still not transmitting data after lauch

Photo: foto divulgação

José Carvalho da Rocha disclosed such information at an interview to the state-owned “Jornal de Angola” newspaper, published this Monday (23 April).

Meanwhile, still on Monday, representatives of the Russian firm that built the technological equipment that would be Angola’s first satellite (dubbed Angosat-1) are scheduled to give a press conference, in Angola, regarding the situation of that satellite, which was launched in December last year, in Russia.

The satellite, which cost the Angolan state USD 320 million, was sent into orbit through the rocket Zenit, however it was afterwards reported that Angosat-1 was no longer transmitting telemetric data.

According to the said newspaper, the minister assured that the next satellite will be more sophisticated and greater in capacity than Angosat-1.

As regards Angosat-1, José Carvalho da Rocha said that after being launched into orbit “disruptions were recorded” in its functioning, however without providing more concrete data.   

In view of the situation, a Russian delegation is in Angola to provide clarification about the situation with Angosat-1.

ANGOP has learnt that Angosat-1 is protected with an insurance of USD 121 million, which covers the total cost of replacement.

Read also
  • 06/10/2018 11:00:23

    80 percent benefit from broadband by 2022

    Luanda - At least 80 percent of the Angolans are expected to have access to the broadband service until 2022, said the State Secretary for Telecommunications.

  • 17/05/2018 16:07:18

    Telecom minister asks professionals to improve quality of service

    Luanda - Angola's minister of Telecommunications and Information Technologies José Carvalho da Rocha has asked the sector's professionals to step up their efforts to improve the service quality and reduce costs.

  • 30/04/2018 12:20:32

    Telecommunication staff want ICT in top of country's development

    Huambo - The seventh extended consulting council of the Ministry of Telecommunication and Information Technology recommended Saturday, the government to place the Information Technologies on top of the national development agenda.

  • 26/04/2018 10:39:58

    Angola and Russia sign greement to build Angosat-2

    Luanda - Angola and the Russian Federation signed a protocol on Monday in Luanda to complement the Angosat-1 manufacturing contract, which is based on the construction of a new geostationary satellite for the country by 2020.