Historic buildings, old churches and forts, lighthouses, monuments and museums are part of the historic attractive variety in the province. About 102 years ago, the first locomotives arrived, in order to begin the famous Benguela railway. The province has also the first radio broadcasting house in Angola. Alvaro de Carvalho was the one who began the first radio broadcast, in 1933.
122 years after, the cemetery is still open. It was built in 1881. The historic railway station facility located in Catumbela. Old lighthouses still lighting from Namibe to Benguela coastline. S. Sebastiao Fort at Egipto Praia, is a military monument located in Catumbela with more than hundred years.
S.Pedro Fort, is an old military building located in Catumbela.
Nossa Senhora do Populo church. The Slavery museum, through this building thousands of Angolans were sent to South America as slaves. It is located in Catumbela and needs an immediate restoration.
Catumbela is a historic village between Benguela and Lobito cities. The village is washed by a river with the same village name. It is possible to observe historic places from the time of the Portuguese occupation. According to history, one of the first places to be visited by Portuguese navigators on their way to India was Catumbela. The old written books show that in 1916, this village lived the very first armed confrontations.
Talking about culture, we have to highlight music, dance, literature, sculpture, museums, monuments and places, which keep the collective memory of the province heritage and its country cultural development influence. There are ten libraries in Benguela. Handicraft and plastic arts are strongly implanted, which contributes for the cultural dimension of local arts in the province.
In the decades 30s and 40s, the carnival history on the south was made up by "Fineza" group from Lobito and "Kafakumba" group from Benguela. Founded in 1940, “Luz e Água” group, reinforced the carnival, joining itself to the groups mentioned above. “Luz e Água” carnival group was recently hounored in a big ceremony for being one of the oldest groups in the province. The carnival success of the era, was shared by two neighbouring groups, such as "Fineza" group from Canata district and “Luz e Água” from Kanjanguela district. By 1975, the carnival event was obliged to be interrupted. However, before this happening, Lobito carnival was held with some other groups like, "Coração" group from Caponte district; "Beira-Mar" group from Lobito Velho district; "Água entre Sal" group from Liro district; "Bunda Muleza" group from Nakapreta district; "Sambalele" group from Santomense district; "Carioca" group from S. João district, as well as others not mentioned here.
Archeology National museum is located in Benguela city. It has about 9.150 pieces. The building holding the museum exists since Seventeen/Eighteen century. In the past, the building was used to store slaves temporarily, until their exportation to America by slavery ships. It was built by limestone bricks, covered with French gutter tile and the gates are made of heavy iron.
The building was given to the Angolan customs authorities, right after slavery traffic abolition. Therefore, with the purpose to keep safe some archeology objects, the building was transformed into Archeology National Museum with the initials (MNAB), in 1976. An archeological research team was empowered some days after and it was leaded by its founder Luis Pais Pinto, a keeper archeologist who started investigations all over the country.
Lobito Ethnography Museum has more than 1.500 pieces and 50 of them are representative pieces of Lunda-Cokwe culture.
Well, a group of Portuguese citizens from ex-Lobito Town-Hall Council, who loved Angolan culture and arts, took the unanimous decision to buy a Bank of Angola”s building, in 1966. They bought it by 500.000$00 (Five hundred thousand Escudos), paid in two installment plan. The purpose of it was to turn into Lobito Museum facility, whose first stone was set on October 28, 1969.
The museum reopened its doors to the public on November 11, 1978. All cultural heritages were kept. The museum has been on since then and receives several ethnologic pieces coming from many provinces of the country.
There are night bars, discos and several leisure and entertainment centers in Lobito. We can also find 50 discos, 24 entertainment centers, three game clubs, 113 video clubs and 24 musical hearing centers.