ANGOP - Angola Press News AgencyANGOP - Angola Press News Agency

Go to homepage
Luanda

Max:

Min:

Home » News » Huambo

Huambo

Essentially focused on mineral extraction area, agriculture and livestock, which represents 76 percent of economic activity in the province.

Huambo

Natural and Historical Points

Send by email

To share this news by email, fill out the information below and click Send

Correct

To report errors in the texts of articles published, fill out the information below and click Send

Huambo province is full of green spaces, monuments, historic sites and recreational areas.

Bayou of Kuando

Has a rare beach on the plateau, due to dam Ngove and is also located in this province that the Morro do Moco, the highest point in Angola, with 2.620m. Deserve to visit the Center for Floral Studies and the Center for the Study of Sacaála, Senhora do Monte, Paços do Concelho, the Municipal Anthropological Museum, the Regional Museum of Huambo, Embala Grande Ruins and the Tomb of King Ekuikui.

 

Monuments

The Embala da Kissala fort, the Embala Kandumbo Stoneso, Paços do Concelho, which is situated the Constantino Kamoli Library, the nine statues dotted around the grounds of the city, showing a bit of cultural wealth of the province, the ruins of Embala Grande Ruins, with its walls, about 20 km from Huambo city to Huambo water hole  of 1914.

 

Kandumbu Rocks

Natural monument located 22 km from the city of Huambo and about 15 km to the east of the  Tchicala-Tcholoanga headquarters. It is a set of monolithic granite with cracks, caves and a cave, where are buried the skulls of three sovereigns of ombala Kandumbu.

On 18 and 19 September 1902, the Kandumbu Stones, also known as Fort Kandumbu, were the scene of clashes between Portuguese troops, led by Captain Joaquim Teixeira Moutinho, then Governor of Benguela, and the local population, the front of which was the king Ndala Kandumbu. These people became known as "Ovita Vyo Kandumbu".

The Central Plateau was eventually subdued by the Portuguese. However, the power of local resistance led by Ndala was such, that the Portuguese colonialists consecrated that place as a historical reference and a landmark erected at the top of the stone in memory of the struggle between the two peoples.

 

N'Ganda-La-Kawhe Rocks

It is a Natural monument about 7 km from Caála headquarters. The N'Ganda Stone represents the feminine universe, for having been the place of residence of the wives of Soba Wambo Kaluga, an excellent hunter from Kwanza Sul and who lived in the area.

On the other hand, the La Kawhe Stone represents the male universe, precisely because it is the place where, according to tradition, Soba Wambo Kaluga lived.

The September 9, 1902, column south of the Portuguese troops, commanded by Captain Joaquim Teixeira Moutinho, there faced the natives, helping the implementation of colonialism in the Central Plateau.

In these clashes, as well as the recent military conflict in Angola, the place was a shelter for the people around.

 

Fort Quissala

The old Fort Cabral Moncada was built in 1902 in memory of the responsible military expedition that led to the pacification of the Central Plateau.
In 1912, the Fort was then with the name of Quissala, that were organized the administrative and political factors that led to the founding of the city of Huambo, by General José Mendes Norton de Matos.

 

Kaninguili (or Caninguiri) Curved Paintings

Located about 43 km east of Mungo headquarters and 150 km from the city of Huambo, near the town of Kaninguili or Caninguiri (there out the name), the paintings are inscribed on a boulder belonging to all of Pedras Negras Kaninguili, which also incorporate the ancient walls of Ombala. And according to archaeological excavations carried out in 1970, the paintings have between seven to ten thousand years.
The pictorial motifs are geometrical, representing hunting scenes, animals and human figures, with chromatic differences ranging from white to yellow and various shades of red.

 

Soba Wambo Kalunga’s Tomb

The name of the kingdom of Huambo originated the name of Soba Wambo Kaluga, a hunter Kwanza Sul who settled along the stones N'Ganda-La-Kawhe and married several women  from Soba Caála. Kwanza Sul tradition tells that , when Soba Wambo Kaluga died, he was buried in the middle of two young couples buried alive, so that should accompany beyond death.
Also along the Kaluga Soba Wambo are the tombs of Sobas Muanguja, died in 1964, and Lucamba Zeferino, who died 18 years ago.

 

Kings Ekuikui II and Katiavala’s Tomb

The tomb with the remains of the two kings is located on top of the mountain Halavala, which originated from the United Ombalundo (later Bailundo), founded in the seventeenth century by King Katiavala.
The location of his grave is therefore a good view over the city of Bailundo.

 

Alemão’s Stones

The Rocks of Alemão are a natural monument of granite, about 20 km from the city of Huambo, and have the particularity to make a slit in the longitudinal vertical.

The saying goes that, one day; a German citizen surprised his wife, a pretty native, with another man. Disillusioned with treason, climbed to the top of the stones and threw himself down here. Hence the name: German stones.

 

Dr. António Agostinho Neto square 

The most famous square of the Huambo city, built between 1935 and 1945, and named Dr.Manuel de Arriaga square in the colonial period.

 

Admiral Américo Tomás Park

Located in the city center, has a playground for children and a cold greenhouse.

 

Anthropological Museum

Housed in the building where the Radio and Post Office employees lived, built in 1935, 21 years before the creation of the Regional Museum of Huambo. The museum came to gather a collection of about 1,500 pieces, collections of sacred art, anthropomorphism, Ethnography, Painting, Traditional Medicine, among others, showed that the usages and customs of the Central Plateau region.

 

Ruacaná and Nova York  buildings

Situated in a block of Independência Avenue and Ganda street. These two buildings represent the best cityscape: the Ruacaná is a good example of modern architecture, the first half of the twentieth century, characterized by rigor and simplicity of its geometry, especially the balcony and tower. However, New York building store, facing the street Alves Roçada, is a good example of a chain with origins in Brutalism (modern movement, between 1950 and 1960) and is evidenced by the concrete structure used as a formal element and decorative.

 

Cathedral of Huambo  

In 1937, on Independência Avenue, it began to be built and hosted the first church service on Christmas Eve two years later. One that is now the Mother Church of the Archdiocese of Huambo, received as patron in 1940, Nossa Senhora da Conceição.

It has an underground tunnel - which housed the Soba (Head) Kandumbu.
Morro de Santo António Bailundo, where lies the tomb of King Ekuikui.

 

Centro do Compão  Church

It erected by missionaries in 1957, in the city of Caála. This building has an unusual architecture, having been built with traditional materials, such as adobe, on the other hand, the domes were painted indigo and has cracks in the facade, which illuminate the interior. Today it serves to get the boys of catechesis and functions as elementary school, and occasionally be a place of worship.

 

Nossa Senhora do Monte Church

Erected in 1924 on Mount M'bengela, which in Umbundo language means "mirage", and has a set of Stations of the Cross, in memory of the passion and death of Christ. The Archdiocese of Huambo has a project to rehabilitate and dignify the site, promoting the National Shrine dedicated to the patron saint of Angola, Nossa Senhora Do Imaculado Coração de Maria. Between 15 and 28 August have a place of pilgrimage feasts of Our Lady of Nossa Senhora do Monte. There also can enjoy the view over the city of Caála, the headquarters of the municipality of the same name.

 

Kuando Kuando Catholic Mission

It was founded in 1920 on the left margin of the Cuando River, 18 km from the city of Huambo, in the commune of Cruzeiro. The mission has an important role in spirituality, education and provision of health care to the population of the surrounding areas of the city, besides having a mixed boarding school where about 40 children live and study.

Huambo province is still full of places of architecturally and unforgettable worship, sometimes surrounded by a beautiful landscape: Catholic Mission of Camela, in the municipality of Catchiungo; Santo António Church, Bailundo church; Nossa Senhora de Fátima church, in the municipality of Caála; Chilume Evangelical Mission, on the suburbs of Bailundo village, 75 km north of the city of Huambo; church of Cachiungo in Cachiungo; church of Mungo, in Huambo, and São Pedro church, in the neighborhood of S. Pedro in Huambo.

 

Kavongue Forest  Reserve

It has 39Km ² of area.